The History of St.Pauls, Carlton, Nottinghamline

St. Pauls Church, Carlton

St. Paul's Church, Carlton-in-the-Willows was consecrated in 1885. The parish was created in 1883 from land formally belonging to the parish of Gedling. The church was built in the style of a Roman Basilica and was funded entirely by the Fourth Earl of Carnarvon who also gave the land upon which it stands. Between 1883 and the opening of the new church, services in the new parish were held in an iron church which was located on the site now occupied by the Tesco supermarket.

The first part was completed in 1885 at a cost of 4,000. The second part was completed six years later and was consecrated on 24th February 1891. Unfortunately the generous donor of the church died before it was completed, and the building stands as a very fine memorial to his concern and interest in the welfare of the parish and its people.

Inside St. Paul's, Carlton

The Countess of Carnarvon placed in the chancel a massive wrought-iron hanging cross, and on the western gable a life sized statue of St Paul, in memory of the deceased peer. A single bell situated near the north-west turret was the gift of the Rev. K. Swann, and bears this inscription in Latin, "To promote the Glory of God." The gift of K.S. 1885. The bell weighs 3 cwt.

The lighting of the church was converted from gas to electricity in 1938. Later a more efficient form of lighting was installed. The microphones and loudspeakers were first used during the year 1938. At the end of World War II a system of broadcasting bells and the necessary auxiliary equipment was purchased and fitted at the church. The system was paid for by the people of Carlton as a memorial to those who served and died for freedom during the War Years of 1939 to 1945. The broadcasting of the bells daily for five minutes at 6 p.m. in the evening was alleged to be a "nuisance", and illegal under a local byelaw. This was the subject for a case heard at the Law Court of Nottingham when a fine of ten shillings was imposed. Canon Ferguson, the Rector at that time, appealed against the verdict and at a subsequent Court won his appeal.

St. Pauls Rectory, Carlton

A rectory (pictured) was built shortly after the church on the site of the present rectory. Its grounds were more extensive than those of today and were often used for garden parties during the summer. This land was sold in the late 1970's and a residential complex was built. About this time it was decided by the Diocese that the Rectory was old and impracticable to run as a family house and was replaced with a modern building.

During 2004/5 extensive interior works were completed inside the church. A modern kitchen, new toilets and a social area, the Carnarvon Centre, were built and there were extensive alterations to the chancel area.

Andrew Phillips recently found this postcard on ebay. It shows the altar as it would have looked in the early 1900's. The card is postmarked 1917 but how much earlier the photograph was taken is unknown (unless you know otherwise - emails welcome)
The altar c1917
The altar c1917 back of postcard

 

Top of page